Sunday, May 13, 2007

Trece de Mayo



P: It looks like we're going Mexican today. Or Mexican-inspired anyway. Since Sandy didn't get a chance to celebrate cinco de mayo (5th May; scroll down), we're celebrating trece de mayo (13th May) instead. I'm handling brunch, Sandy's doing dinner (see post above, when it arrives). In fact I should be cooking now and not blogging but Her Ladyship hasn't woken up yet so I still have a bit of time. Brunch will be Singapore-style heuvos rancheros, the classic Mexican breakfast dish of eggs and refried beans on a tortilla covered in spicy tomato and coriander sauce. I might add some spicy sausage slices just to "beef" it up. It's Singapore-style 'cos I can't find jalapeno chillies at the local supermarket and will replace them with local red chillies! I'll also replace Monterey Jack with some mature Cheddar that Phil A brought over from UK. And, just to really upset the purists, I'm going to replace the tortilla with a healthier wholeweat wrap. So, it's probably nothing like heuvos rancheros!





P: Oh, wow, that was damn good! Delicious! I have no idea what this dish is supposed to look or taste like but this version sure works. The spicy sausage was great too. I will definitely cook this one again.

S: I like it very much! I love the egg and refried beans. Are we going to fart a lot later?

P: Open the windows and increase the fan speed.

No comments: